General Uni and Equip maintenance
mill_mobile
2007-11-08 10:16:42 UTC
As the title says, what regular maintenance do you carry out on you
uni?
Also, how do you wash your smelly gloves/661s?
Apologies if this has been posted before, just thought it would be
good thread to share ideas/procedures etc.

--
mill_mobil
http://www.usenet.com
joemarshall
2007-11-08 12:15:02 UTC
Regular maintenance:- None. As long as you store them inside so they'r
dry, you only need to fix things that break, like if your wheel i
loose, or cranks or whatever.

Cleaning pads, put them in the washing machine, but inside a sock. Yo
need a big rugby sock (or whatever sport wears big socks in the US) t
put big pads inside. Same with gloves.

Jo

--
joemarshal

my pics http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuq4
http://www.usenet.com
Unibugg
2007-11-08 12:16:29 UTC
Perfect timing. I neglect my unis so badly. :(

Waiting for helpful responses

--
Unibug
You should see this fella ride up kerbs. He makes it look annoyingl
http://www.usenet.com
Hazmat
2007-11-08 13:05:13 UTC
Perfect timing. I neglect my unis so badly. :(
Waiting for helpful responses
What specifically are requiring help on*???

--
Hazma

I'M 1 WEIRD AND UNUSUAL GREE
CYPRIOT AUSTRALIAN WH
IS DESTINED TO BE DIFFERENT AND I WON'T STOP TILL I AM

'*Hazmat's What people think of me???
(http://tinyurl.com/ytyaau)*
Its a wild ride, grabs me by the shoe-lace, and doesn't let go till I d
a face-plant
http://www.usenet.com
Unibugg
2007-11-08 13:22:26 UTC
I hardly do anything too them except check the tire pressure. I suppos
I should be:

checking the cranks (but how often? every ride?) How do I know the
are tight enough but not too tight?

cleaning it off more (lots of sand around here). Just blowing air o
it from an air compressor to remove visible sand enough?

If I've ridden on the beach, anything special I should do afterwards?
I don't often ride on the beach but if I do, my son says I should b
taking stuff apart after a beach ride and cleaning it all off.
Hmmm.....

Any possibility the seat will get stuck in one position if I don'
adjust it now and then?

Anything special if it has gotten extra wet from riding in the rain o
mud?

I just noticed yesterday that my Exiwolf tire has a bald spot.
wonder if it is from practicing idling, or is it from when I wa
learning to turn more efficiently. The bald spot is on the middle o
the tire not anywhere near the sides. I know it can't be from storag
because if it is in the garage I use the stand; in my trunk and it lay
flat. My just now noticing it makes me really think I've not bee
paying attention to stuff I should

http://www.usenet.com
Unicorn
2007-11-08 14:48:26 UTC
If your tire has a bald spot it is because you don't to either tire o
crank rotations every couple of months. Shame on you! The rotation
will add much life on to your tire and you will avoid the sligh
Kangaroo effect that you get when one part of the tire is worn away
Also very important is to check that your wheel is true. Bring the un
to a bike shop every half a year for wheel trueing if you don't thin
that you can do it yourself. You should also make sure that all bolt
are tight every few rides. This is how plenty of seat bases break. On
or two of the bolts loosen and fall off and then all of the pullin
force is put on only one bolt or axis. Those are the main maintenanc
tasks with Unis. In summation.

1) Tire or Crank rotations every couple of months.
2) Making sure that your wheel is true.
3) Making sure that all bolts are tight.

Unicor

--
Unicor

Keep your eyes on the stars and your feet on the pedals, and you wil
accomplish great feats
http://www.usenet.com
maestro8
2007-11-08 20:44:08 UTC
cleaning it off more (lots of sand around here). Just blowing air on it
from an air compressor to remove visible sand enough?
Compressed air can blow dirt further into the uni just as easily as it
can blow dirt out. I'd avoid using it.
If I've ridden on the beach, anything special I should do afterwards? I
don't often ride on the beach but if I do, my son says I should be
taking stuff apart after a beach ride and cleaning it all off.
The critical parts (bearings) are sealed against dirt and moisture. If
you get salt water on anything, hose it off and let it dry in the
sun... that's all I'd worry about.
Any possibility the seat will get stuck in one position if I don't
adjust it now and then?
Sure, but it'd take a while for the metal to corrode that badly. I
wipe my seatpost with a light oil / protectant before inserting it
simply because it makes adjustment easier... that should protect
against corrosion as well.
Anything special if it has gotten extra wet from riding in the rain or
mud?
..just dry it, that's all!
--
maestro8

Groucho Marx

The only way to comprehend what mathematicians mean by Infinity is to
contemplate the extent of human stupidity. -- François-Marie Arouet de
Voltaire
http://www.usenet.com
brendan
2007-11-08 21:22:06 UTC
rotate cranks/tyre keep everything nice and tight

true your wheel... dont leave it outside..

Well everything i dont do really, except the outside bit

--
brenda
http://www.usenet.com
mill_mobile
2007-11-08 22:04:29 UTC
Thanks - we are building a good thread here:)
I have been rotating my tire, checking a few bolts here and there
maintaining tire pressure... thats about it! Oh, i never leave i
outside... it stays in my room.
Thanks for the tip on washing the gloves... my KH Pulse totally stink
I'm surprised my friend even put them on her hands! they are currentl
in the wash inside a sock... just gotta hope no red dye comes out o
them or mum wont be too happy

--
mill_mobil
http://www.usenet.com
Unibugg
2007-11-09 00:37:24 UTC
Post by Unicorn
If your tire has a bald spot it is because you don't to either tire o
crank rotations every couple of months. Shame on you!
Oops... that sounds like something I read about way back when I firs
started riding again last March but totally dismissed and looked fo
"fun" threads. ;) Ok. I swear I am not a dingbat, well maybe I a
when it comes to maintaining b*kes, unis, and cars. So... please giv
me crank rotation 101 and tire rotation 101. Tire rotation... um.
there is only one tire... so... um.. I guess you mean for that tire t
come off flip it so the left is on the right and the right is on th
left. (Is that what you mean?

Crank rotation... you got me there. I have no idea what or why this i
all about.
Post by Unicorn
Also very important is to check that your wheel is true. Bring the un
to a bike shop every half a year for wheel trueing if you don't thin
that you can do it yourself
Sounds like a job for my LBS. I wonder if he did it yesterday.
picked it up at closing and the guy who worked on it had left. I'l
make sure to ask him when I get the LX back.

Thanks for the summation. Keeps it simple for me. :)
Post by Unicorn
Compressed air can blow dirt further into the uni just as easily as i
can blow dirt out. I'd avoid using it
:eek: This makes sense. Note to self, no more air compressor!
Thanks.

Hosing it off and letting it dry sounds a lot better than what my so
was telling me. Using a light oil on the seatpost sounds like a goo
idea too.

My unis are ALWAYS stored inside. Inside my trunk or garage.
Who could leave a uni outside?
Do some people REALLY leave them outside?
In the heat and rain and snow and dust and with all the critters of th
night poking around it and building webs inside it. Tsk Tsk

--
Unibug
http://www.usenet.com
mill_mobile
2007-11-09 00:40:52 UTC
Post by Unibugg
tire rotation 101.
Let the air out of your tire and drag it round 90 degrees then pump u
again... if you do this every so often you will get even wear... thi
moves the spot of wear 90 degrees each time you change.
Hope that makes sense:

--
mill_mobil
http://www.usenet.com
Unibugg
2007-11-09 00:45:46 UTC
Post by mill_mobile
Let the air out of your tire and drag it round 90 degrees then pump u
again... if you do this every so often you will get even wear... thi
moves the spot of wear 90 degrees each time you change.
Ah.. so you are saying just rotate it ON the rim 90 degrees not remov
it from the rim and flip it right?

How about rotation 201. WHY does this make a difference?
Then again it must do something. Because after reading your post I go
up and took a look at the EXIWOLF again. There are 2 bald spot
opposite each other! I guess somehow rotating it would have made th
difference

--
Unibug
http://www.usenet.com
saskatchewanian
2007-11-09 01:02:48 UTC
I would suggest rotating the tire a bit less than 90? each time so yo
don't just put it on a previously worn spot next time you rotate.

If you have a splined setup you can rotate your cranks but if you hav
a square taper interface you should rotate the tire and NOT th
cranks.

You can flip the tire around if you notice more wear on one side tha
the other but this should not be a problem.

It's all about even wear and prolonging the life of your tire

--
saskatchewania

The Coker isn't elegant, it's majesti
http://www.usenet.com
mill_mobile
2007-11-09 01:03:23 UTC
Post by Unibugg
Ah.. so you are saying just rotate it ON the rim 90 degrees not remov
it from the rim and flip it right?
How about rotation 201. WHY does this make a difference?
Then again it must do something. Because after reading your post I go
up and took a look at the EXIWOLF again. There are 2 bald spot
opposite each other! I guess somehow rotating it would have made th
difference
Yep, on the rim.
I dont really see the point in flipping it over completely unless ther
is wear evident solely to one side of the tire.
It's all about evening out the wear of the tire, so if you can notic
it wearing in a particular area just rotate it to a spot that will hel
even it out:)

EDIT: sorry for the duplicate info... we posted at same time!
yeah, i meant about 90 all the time... sorry, but seriously it would b
difficult to do it exactly the same ALL the time;

--
mill_mobil
http://www.usenet.com
Unibugg

http://www.usenet.com
mill_mobile
2007-11-09 02:51:55 UTC
Post by Unibugg
Ah.. Thanks to both of you.
I'll be doing the procedure tomorrow first thing. And then regularl
No worries, glad to help:)
I have only changed mine twice since i have had it... I originall
thought i had a flat spot but then realised i hadn't rotated th
tyre... it is now worn back fine:

--
mill_mobil
http://www.usenet.com
ducestecum
2007-11-09 04:05:28 UTC
I check air pressure every time I ride. even if I ride the next day.
Then I basically give it the once over before I ride.
--
ducestecum
http://www.usenet.com
mill_mobile
2007-11-09 05:54:13 UTC
OMG! the glove in sock in washing machine worked a treat! they are
soooooo clean and dont smell one bit!
--
mill_mobile
http://www.usenet.com
legtod2
2007-11-09 12:43:14 UTC
My older 20" uni (10yrs old) likes to rust on the spokes.

Any one encountering rust on the spokes or what preventive maint ar
you doing about it

--
legtod
http://www.usenet.com
mill_mobile
2007-11-09 19:28:46 UTC
Post by legtod2
My older 20" uni (10yrs old) likes to rust on the spokes.
Any one encountering rust on the spokes or what preventive maint ar
you doing about it
I have never experienced this... did you ever leave it outside/aroun
salt water?
I would say only way to fix now is to relace with new spokes

--
mill_mobil
http://www.usenet.com
Chrashing
2007-11-10 00:32:19 UTC
Check that things are tight. I like to replace all nuts with nylon lock
nuts.
--
Chrashing

Regards,
Ken

I've been flying.......
http://www.usenet.com
feel the light
2007-11-10 07:58:24 UTC
Do not ride your uni in salt water. I have ridden motorcycles in salt
water. The aluminum rims (10x thicker then a uni rim) turn into pits of
white powder, on the tube (inside) of the rim. Once the salt gets in,
there is no easy way to get it out. Hosing off the bike- uni, is a good
idea, but salt will remain trapped between the tube and rim.

Don't blast soapy water at your bearings, use a pressure washer, or
spray wd 40 at your bearings. This will cause crap to get past the
seals into the bearings.

Corrosion is especially bad in my town, because it is so hot and humid
here. If I was going to ride my uni up north in winter, on salted
roads, I would keep it in an unheated garage. Heat accelerates
corrosion. Sort of like keeping a fish in the fridge instead of on the
counter. Refrigerate your uni and it will take longer for it to
corrode.

Salt is a real bugger. Don't think that aluminum and stainless are
immune. Stainless develops crevice corrosion (which makes parts break)
, and aluminum turns into a white powder, which sucks as bad as rust.
--
feel the light
http://www.usenet.com
semach.the.monkey
2007-11-10 21:06:56 UTC
Post by feel the light
Don't blast soapy water at your bearings, use a pressure washer, o
spray wd 40 at your bearings.
Wouldn't WD40 also clean a lot of the grease out of the bearings, thu
leaving you in a worse situation?

Personally I find the best form of maintenance is to ride often. Tha
way you get a feel for what the uni should be like. You notice if th
tyre starts to lose a little bit of pressure, and can pump it up whe
convenient. You notice pretty quickly if there is a clicking sound o
a wobble that you've not had before, and can sort that out soon enoug
too.

Why would you worry about not moving your seat post often enough? I
you go months on end without adjusting it, then it's obviously at th
right height, so doesn't matter if it gets stuck.

If you ride in salt water often, then that's going to cost you a set o
bearings once in a while. But they're not exactly dear or hard t
change, so in the long run probably works out easier than cleaning the
after every ride.

Tyre rotation can have its advantages, but if you're riding enough t
suffer from bald spots, then you're probably also going to pick up th
odd puncture here or there (thus have a random tyre rotate at the sam
time), or would be likely to change cranks from time to time, in whic
case I would always put them on differently. Schlump
effectively have self rotating tyres

If you've had a bad crash, or the uni has been packed away for months
then yes, sure, there's lots of stuff you can do to get it back i
tip-top condition. But, day to day, just ride it and see if it -feel
-like it needs anything doing to it.

ST

--
semach.the.monke
http://www.usenet.com
cool-bananas
2007-11-11 00:49:31 UTC
quick question on maintenance...When you tighten the bolts under you
seat (all of them, the ones from the seat post and the bumper ones) ho
tight should they be

--
cool-banana

Yes, madam, I am drunk. But in the morning I will be sober and you wil
still be ugly.
-Winston Churchill
http://www.usenet.com
Unibugg
2007-11-11 01:20:21 UTC
I agree that the fun of riding in and by the sea may be worth a set o
bearings.
Riding near and on the beach just breaks up the monotony of all thi
flat land of sand called Florida. You, in the Keys, especially ca
understand

http://www.usenet.com
mill_mobile
2008-02-05 08:33:40 UTC
Ok, sorry to bring one of my threads back from the dead...
But just thought i'd share...
My 661s had started to get a tad ripped on the front of the left one
so i went out today and got some Shoe Goo - when i got home i applie
it over the few little torn bits... i'm waiting for it to dry (shoul
be good for a ride tomorrow night) to see how it holds up... i shal
let you know - just thought i'd let you know and thought any of you ma
share your ideas on fixing this if it has happened to you!
I will let you know how it goes!
Peace

--
mill_mobil
http://www.usenet.com
feel the light
2007-11-11 01:13:27 UTC
"Don't blast soapy water at your bearings, use a pressure washer, o
spray wd 40 at your bearings."

Not very clear. What I meant was don't blast soapy water at you
bearings. Don't spray them with a pressure washer and don't spray the
with wd 40. This stuff will get past the seals and screw up th
grease.

I agree that the fun of riding in and by the sea may be worth a set o
bearings. I don't see salt water as that much of a threat to bearing
anyway, and some sizes can be bought online for as little as a dolla
each (but not those 15 $ Torker bearings). I would worry more about th
rim and hub.

A uni is much smaller and easier to work on than a motorcycle. Perhap
after a week at the beach, deflate and loose the tire on the rim. Tak
the seat post out, and then soak the whole uni in a pool of fres
water for an hour. That should get the salt out of the rim, spokes an
hub. On a motorcycle, breaking the tire seal on the rim is more hassle
and soaking the whole thing in water is out of the question

--
feel the ligh
http://www.usenet.com
skilewis74
2008-02-05 23:00:55 UTC
For rotating my tire, moving the cranks is a lot harder than spinnin
the tire for me. Just letting the air out usually isn't enough, s
when there is noticeable wear I remove one side from the rim and spi
the tire 90 degrees. This makes the tire somewhat square shaped (onc
I waited a long time before rotating and it felt kind of lumpy ove
smooth pavement), so the next time I rotate it only 45 degrees.

I have a tendency to put more wear on the part of my tire when my lef
foot is down, so I sometimes rotate it so the least worn part is down
and also wear the left side more so I sometimes flip it.

Spokes loosen up after a while, esp. when the uni is new.

It's not hard to learn to do a decent job of truing a rim. Tighten th
nipples counter-clockwise. If you ask your LBS they will prob show yo
the basics. If you do big drops, I'd say this is a mandatory skill an
bring a good spoke wrench w/ you on rides.

Except for the cranks, I check to make sure all bolts and the pedal
are tight before each ride.

For the cranks 45 ft. lbs of torque w/ red Loctite should be enough t
tighten them (my DX needs 65 lbs, the max for them and most others).
So I didn't have to pay my LBS $10 each time I got a torque wrench a
my hardware store.
Take the seat post out, and then soak the whole uni in a pool of fres
water for an hour
Wouldn't soaking it for a long time get water in the bearings and the
eventually rust?

George Peck doesn't recomend riding in water above the bearings "w/
lots of maintenance"

--
skilewis7

Ride everywhere and never just ride anywhere. If you can ride where yo
are going within a hour, do it, and if you can do a trick 50-75% of th
time do it along the way.
Bob Burnquist on how to improve significantly.
'Trials Building
(http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64235
http://www.usenet.com
feel the light
2008-02-06 19:08:15 UTC
This would be after a week at the beach, riding in salt water.

Just hosing it off won't remove salt that has gotten deep into spok
threads and the hub.

Soaking it an hour may allow some fresh water into the bearings, but i
may also dissolve some salt out.

Mostly, the idea is that bearings aren't very expensive. Salt can ro
your hub, rim and spokes and inside the frame, if you let it sta
there. So in this case, a small risk to a cheap part, is taken to sav
these expensive parts from certain corrosion.

Personally, I just don't ride in salt water, despite the miles o
nearby beach. It's not worth it to me. But if you do it anyway
remember that it will rot the inside of the rim the worst. It will tak
at least an hour soaking to get most of the salt out of all parts o
the uni. Even that may not be enough to save steel spokes, which ma
lock solid if small amounts of salt remains

--
feel the ligh
http://www.usenet.com

Hazmat
2007-11-09 12:36:36 UTC
Post by mill_mobile
OMG! the glove in sock in washing machine worked a treat! they ar
soooooo clean and dont smell one bit
That's what washing powder is for. :