is my mom to old
mawesome
2006-03-16 23:34:03 UTC
You're never too old to learn to unicycle...until you hit 60. So no,
she's not too old, but i wouldn't wanna be seen trying to teach my mum
how to ride a unicycle. At least not in public anyway.
--
mawesome

My spleen hurts
mawesome's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11724
Jerrick
2006-03-16 23:33:16 UTC
not at all
--
Jerrick

What would you do to me if i was passed out on your bed? o.0
oldfatboy
2006-03-16 23:33:28 UTC
I learned at 53 and way out of shape.
--
oldfatboy

"I have got to get me one of these!"
oldfatboy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10599
briguymaine
2006-03-17 17:48:49 UTC
Post by oldfatboy
I learned at 53 and way out of shape.
Hey OFB, I remember when you were trying to learn last year. I've
actually thought about you on occasion and wondered him you were still
riding!

Cool, are you in shape now?
--
briguymaine

Life is like a box of chocolates? I hate chocolate.
'My blog is at www.munitard.com' (http://www.munitard.com)
briguymaine's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9257
oldfatboy
2006-03-17 23:25:03 UTC
Post by briguymaine
Hey OFB, I remember when you were trying to learn last year. I've
actually thought about you on occasion and wondered him you were still
riding!
Cool, are you in shape now?
No, probably worse right now. I pretty much spent the winter sitting :(

I posted a message about titled something like "back on the wheel".
At least now that things are settled down somewhat, I can get going
again and lose some of this winter insulation ;)
Thanks for the interest

James_Potter
2006-03-16 23:59:51 UTC
you're never too old to learn somethin new!!

unless maybe if you're dead!
--
James_Potter

i still believe that all you need is love...john lennon

mikael
atkinson...............................................................................jonny
peacock is my main man.
mdotedotatkinsonatgmaildotcom
*President of the 'MRIS' (http://tinyurl.com/dk2de)*
unijesse
2006-03-17 00:03:20 UTC
i wouyld gladdly teach my mom to uni in public, i love my mommy
--
unijesse

I Brake for Unicyclist's
http://www.nickjantz.2ya.com

www.unicycletips.comformerly www.unicycle.2ya.com
unijesse's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10868
yoopers
2006-03-17 00:06:34 UTC
Last time we visited TCUC in Minneapolis, there was a 78-year-old farmer
at the club learning how to ride.
--
yoopers

`_______
/L ,[____],
L---L –0LLLLLLL0-
()_) ()_)----)_)

Munipsycho on the art of raising children: "My job is not to keep them
from falling. It's to teach them to always get back up."

Always give lots of credit and take very little. Seems to make everyone
happier. Conversely, take as much responsibility for mistakes as one
can assume! - Dr. Bobo

unicycledude93: Steve Dekeokeok
unicycledude93: Yoopers
Byrnetown: haha, those are old guys
yoopers's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/31
smcmorrow
2006-03-17 00:45:37 UTC
my dad is learning at 53
--
smcmorrow

I am not the messiah\"
-Monty Python"
smcmorrow's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10881
koebwil
2006-03-17 00:50:31 UTC
Teach her, and then send us photos of her riding in full pads. I always
find people over 40 in full pads hilarious.
--
koebwil

"I used to eat erasers in grade school...." James_Potter
koebwil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11308
tomsey
2006-03-17 03:02:34 UTC
she could probably learn ok.. but she probably wont be able to do
crankflip or handrails in that short lifetime... not cos shes old, just
because shes a girl
--
tomsey

damn you, damn the brocholli and damn the wright brothers!
tomsey's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7038
James_Potter
2006-03-17 03:25:49 UTC
Post by tomsey
she could probably learn ok.. but she probably wont be able to do
crankflip or handrails in that short lifetime... not cos shes old, just
because shes a girl
yeah, thats the only trouble I saw too...I still don't believe that
girls can unicycle.

Jethro
2006-03-17 04:35:26 UTC
I don't think so. I was 42 when I started. My wife was 40. Of course,
she got pregnant to get out of it. I hope that doesn't happen to your
mom.
--
Jethro

'Bill-a-Blog' (http://www.xanga.com/JustPlainBill)
Jethro's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9413
JJuggle
2006-03-17 14:37:19 UTC
Unicycle.com used to have an ad featuring a guy who learned to ride at
92.
--
JJuggle

Raphael Lasar - Matawan, NJ

Lisa says on a night like this, it'd be so nice if you gave her a
kiss.
And Lisa says for just one little smile, she'll come sit next to you
for a little while.
JJuggle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/24
kington99
2006-03-17 14:47:20 UTC
Hey 42 isn't all that old, I'm sure if she was determined enough she
could learn to ride. I think this thread says alot about the maturity
and kindness of people on this forum, on no other internet forum in the
world (except the banjo players) could you title a thread "is my mum
too old" without getting a string of lewd jokes as replies, sorry to
lower the tone.
--
kington99

Dave

amanda.gallacher
2006-03-17 17:03:50 UTC
firstly... amanda's here :)

secondly... grinding is scary haha ok i'll try it next time we're at
the skatepark, just to prove to these people that girls can ride :p
--
amanda.gallacher

'my gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/dpa27)
Fly04066814 - 'Amanda Rules!!'
fcwegnm0b - 'Amanda you are awesome!'
Chosen - 'i think...i...love amanda'
***@hotmail.co.uk - add me
amanda.gallacher's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10009
unisteve
2006-03-17 17:12:11 UTC
I agree with the girl statement, unless the girl happens to be a mother
of a child that she has (at least partially) raised.

Then she's probably invincible. I have a lot of respect for mothers,
in general.
--
unisteve

-\"i live on the edge. sometimes i fall off.\"-

join the cpunicycles ***@home team (# 13392)! check 'here'
(http://tinyurl.com/h4qst) for more details.

harper is my hero.
unisteve's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/543
swarbrim
2006-03-17 17:07:36 UTC
Firstly, hello

Secondly you are 10 times better than me soo im sure you can grind

Mike
--
swarbrim

:D add me at ***@hotmail.com

"I know how you feel. I live in England, and I was given a raincoat for
Christmas three years ago, and I still haven't had chance to use it. "
-- Mike Fule
swarbrim's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11005
Wheel Rider
2006-03-17 17:00:06 UTC
Tell her to go for it. I learned at age 50. I am coming up on my third
anniversary of learning to ride a unicycle.
--
Wheel Rider

A man can fail many times but he isn't a failure until he begins to
blame someone else. - Waite Phillips
Wheel Rider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10656
cyclingunilady
2006-03-17 18:05:52 UTC
i was 54 when i learned to uni now at 59 i ride on canal paths & quite
rough tracks through woods walking! my two dogs. people do tend to
stare when i ride on the pavement with the dogs pulling me along on
their leads .i'm female & i wear pads now as i've bust my knees a few
times.
--
cyclingunilady
cyclingunilady's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10866
cathwood
2006-03-17 08:35:28 UTC
Post by tomsey
she could probably learn ok.. but she probably wont be able to do
crankflip or handrails in that short lifetime... not cos shes old, just
because shes a girl
What you think that amandagallager is not a girl or something????

No one's to old to learn if they really want to. We're all learning
till the day we die.

Cathy
--
cathwood

Say no to unicycle genre discrimination! - MrBoogiejuice

http://www.chuckingandtwirling.co.uk
Loosemoose
2006-03-17 14:24:59 UTC
Post by cathwood
What you think that amandagallager is not a girl or something????
I won't say it, its too harsh and too tempting... I think Amanda's not
quite at the crankflip/grinding stage yet, but it wouldn't take much to
convince her to at least have a go at an easy ledge. Back to the topic:

I think posting on these fora about the age to start unicycling is
probably an exercise in futility. Everyone here will tell you that it's
never too late to start learning, there are some very experienced
riders here with many years under their belts. Klass might pop up in a
while with a link to his statistical analysis of learning time & age
too.

We've looked into this extensively, and the consensus is the time it
takes to learn is dependant on enthusiasm, practice and dedication.
Your mum has an able tutor (which may speed up the process as opposed
to learning on your own, but will not necessarily make her a better
rider because of the tution per se), and has made the decision to learn
without being persuaded or forced by a commitment (there's a blog
somewhere on the net of a journalist from a cycling magasine who was
forced by the mag to learn, and he got nowhere. If you don't want to
learn, it'll never happen). She also has access to all the equipment
required to learn at all times (as opposed to someone who can only ride
at a club meeting once a week).

Good luck, and thats one more of us, one less of them.

Loose.
--
Loosemoose

"Come on you target for far away laughter,
come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine..." - Pink
Floyd
Loosemoose's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6326
swarbrim
2006-03-17 16:57:51 UTC
Post by tomsey
she could probably learn ok.. but she probably wont be able to do
crankflip or handrails in that short lifetime... not cos shes old, just
because shes a girl
Well firstly wheres amanda?

Secondly, she can half flip, unispin and i reckon she could grind with
a little of her own persuassion.

Mike

red_rider
2006-03-17 02:56:36 UTC
Post by koebwil
Teach her, and then send us photos of her riding in full pads. I always
find people over 40 in full pads hilarious.
My moms over 40 and I too would love to teach her to uni. And she would
look totally Cool(not hilarious) in full pads!:D
--
red_rider

ONE DAY AT A TIME!:cool:
red_rider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11841
pythondrummer
2006-03-17 01:57:49 UTC
Post by James_Potter
you're never too old to learn somethin new!!
unless maybe if *you're dead*!
yeah, i could see how that could present a slight problem.
--
pythondrummer
pythondrummer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11732
Krashin'Kenny
2006-03-17 02:09:14 UTC
I learned how to ride just a few months before I turned 50 :D
--
Krashin'Kenny

If you ain't crashing, you ain't going fast enough!!!!!!!!!!!
Krashin'Kenny's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3420
underdog
2006-03-17 17:14:00 UTC
Post by Krashin'Kenny
I learned how to ride just a few months before I turned 50 :D
Me too.
Post by Krashin'Kenny
on no other internet forum in the world (except the banjo players) could
you title a thread "is my mum too old" without getting a string of lewd
jokes as replies, sorry to lower the tone
Spoiled all my fun;)
--
underdog

'I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody
tell you different' - Kurt Vonnegut
underdog's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6197
Mikefule
2006-03-17 17:31:53 UTC
I'm 43 and started to learn fencing at 40, and only really got seriously
into unicycling at about 38. One of my fencing coaches is 82 and
teaches two nights a week. My grandmother used to climb the trees in
the orchard to prune them until she was in her 80s. My mate Andy
learned to unicycle at 50.

If your mum's fit and determined then she will learn to ride.
--
Mikefule

Is this the wheel life, is this just fantasy?
tomsey
2006-03-18 05:50:52 UTC
i said handrails!!!

its a widley known fact that they just dont got what it takes. an
abundance of testosterone.

anyways i wanna see a gal prove me wrong believe me, but ill have to
see it with my own eyes.

its a fairly dumb thread for the reason that no one will tell her she
is too old. but i think some people are mentally too old to learn. with
all the pessimism of old people and alzhymers kickin in, plus menapause
around the corner. she might be too old after all.

U-Turn
2006-03-18 10:23:10 UTC
Post by tomsey
i said handrails!!!
its a widley known fact that they just dont got what it takes. an
abundance of testosterone.
anyways i wanna see a gal prove me wrong believe me, but ill have to
see it with my own eyes.
its a fairly dumb thread for the reason that no one will tell her she
is too old. but i think some people are mentally too old to learn. with
all the pessimism of old people and alzhymers kickin in, plus menapause
around the corner. she might be too old after all.
Tomsey may have something here. I just saw *Defect*, and it was
sobering. All the practice time I put in to do simple things, and Dan
complains about it taking 2 hours to learn a trick that hasn't been
performed before. And when menOpause hits, I know it's going to be
worse. I'll have to double my testosterone supplements, I think. Now,
where did that bottle go... :confused:
--
U-Turn

'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'
-- Dave Stockton
swarbrim

domesticated ape
2006-03-18 13:22:44 UTC
Post by tomsey
i said handrails!!!
its a widley known fact that they just dont got what it takes. an
abundance of testosterone.
anyways i wanna see a gal prove me wrong believe me, but ill have to
see it with my own eyes.
/QUOTE]
Ever heard of Elissa Steamer?
Or Tara Dakides?
Of course girls have what it takes to do handrails, it's just that
there aren't many girls that ride unicycle street. There aren't even
many male unicyclists doing handrails yet.
Maybe Amanda will be the first to prove you wrong!
--
domesticated ape

i like bananas, monkey nuts and grapes
domesticated ape's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8599
lucky_8
2006-03-16 23:58:07 UTC
she isn't to old
--
lucky_8

life is a whole lot more fun when you live it on just one wheel.
lucky_8's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11685
dan de man
2006-03-17 09:03:48 UTC
my dad 53 and can ride 3 metres (but we wont be seeing him him here)
--
dan de man

the second maori unicyclist on this forum (the first being
unicyclistjoe)hehehe i can imagine myself doing a unihaka before a
unihokey game
dan de man's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11403
dorfman
2006-03-17 11:05:16 UTC
my pasor is learning and hes 58
--
dorfman

my unicycles are like my imaginary friends that every one can see.
my myspace
http://tinyurl.com/s6dct
dorfman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10880
U-Turn
2006-03-17 11:03:33 UTC
I learned when I was 42... now about 5 years later, I'm 22 and it feels
great! (Tell your mom that incredible, yet true story ;) )

Uniwitold
2006-03-17 09:02:32 UTC
:D :)
;) my mom wants to learn how to unicycle shes 44 do u think shes to old
to learn?:confused: :p
Absolutely not to old!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D
--
Uniwitold

Veni !Vidi !Mount ! ' Public does not perceive it reacts'. Greg
Harper.
Uniwitold's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2181
black.pearl
2006-03-17 21:24:38 UTC
;) my mom wants to learn how to unicycle shes 44 do u think shes to old
to learn?:confused: :p
Hope not I'm 62 and just starting.
--
black.pearl
black.pearl's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11846
cathwood
2006-03-17 21:57:45 UTC
;) my mom wants to learn how to unicycle shes 44 do u think shes to old
to learn?:confused: :p
Well, what have you decided? Are you going to teach her? And tell her
where she can access old geezer and geezeress unicyclists on the
internet.

Cathy