why are there less chrome unicycles nowadays?
Amos_And_Ego
2004-01-06 22:13:14 UTC
I noticed that more and more unicycles nowadays have painted frames
instead of chromed frames. Given that chrome holds up better to
scratches, rain, and won't fade under sunlight, why do people want
painted frames?

It seems to me that a muni frame that is going receive a lot of abuse
should be chromed. I understand that chroming is bad environmentally
(especially in small shops which cut corners on chemical safety), I
doubt this is the reason that people are choosing to buy painted
frames.

--Amos

--
Amos_And_Ego
Amos_And_Ego's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4987
Sofa
2004-01-06 22:15:30 UTC
have you been at a gathering of 20+ riders?

It's tough picking out YOUR chrome unicycle!

--
Sofa - You Tu Tu Tuni?

'Unicycle Product Reviews'
(http://www.brianmackenzie.com/LUC/unicycleReviews.aspx)

'London Unicycling Club Website ' (http://www.brianmackenzie.com/LUC/)
version 3.0

'when I'm at the limit of my endurance, 5% extra resistance could be
enough to stop me in my track. ' - MikeFule

Sofa's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/706
phil
2004-01-06 22:36:34 UTC
I'm guessing it's just a style thing, in much the same way that chrome
on cars has all but disappeared...

Phil

--
phil - ex-studenty type

"Cattle Prods solve most of life's little problems."
phil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/915
bugman
2004-01-06 23:19:56 UTC
I never have really gone for the chrome look. It just has too much of a
"Hey Look at Me" kind of feel to it. So when I saw that some Uni's
were black I was pretty excited.

As for cars, chrome is very popular for Dubs and Sprewell's. Gotta have
your 24's.:rolleyes:

--
bugman - Equilibrium Challenged

"Trying to maintain balance by wild arm and body motions is something
like trying to balance a wet noodle"
Jack Wiley _The_Unicycle_Book_
ratherbekayaking
2004-01-15 16:09:14 UTC
In the past I'm guessing it was pretty much impossible to get a stock
uni in anything other than chrome. Kinda reminds me of a quote by Henry
Ford when he started mass-producing the Model-T Ford automobile:
People can get one in any color they want, so long as it's black."

I think it's better that we can get uni's in colors other than chrome
for a myriad of reasons that have been stated.

Ed

--
ratherbekayaking - Levels-shmevels. I just wanna ride!

"Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a
mistake when you make it again." (Franklin P. Jones)
ratherbekayaking's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2330
Murde Mental
2004-01-16 02:27:33 UTC
Yeah, I'm with bugman on this one.....Besides chrome reminds me of my
20" Norco! (we've had some good times but now I spit on his grave!) ;)

--
Murde Mental - Unicycling Martyr

Why do they call them mad cows eh!?
they're not mad, just a little confused is all......

Murde Mental's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4463
TheObieOne3226
2004-01-16 03:13:04 UTC
My new MUni (which arrived today but I missed, then failed to pick up)
is painted army man green. YES!

--
TheObieOne3226 - Extreme Halfb*ker

I won!!! I won!!! $535??? I'm broke for the rest of my life.

-Me

johnhimsworth
2004-01-06 23:26:01 UTC
coz if you get a painted frame it can get a bit scratched and beaten up
looking and it looks like you've been doing lots of really serious
riding and it makes you look really good. Chrome just doesn't show the
battle scars as well.

John

--
johnhimsworth

Look! The Goodyear Blimp!
johnhimsworth's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1788
XWonka
2004-01-07 01:10:41 UTC
chrome is so ugly... for me it really is a style thing.

--
XWonka - Riding High

"you have pretty much turned JC into "the spam bin" dont you think? So
who gives a crap..." -Jagur to James_Potter

"sorry.i wasnt going to sell it to anyone under thirty.especially not to
an under 30 post padder." -Jagur to TheObieOne3226

"Do you have a pet named 'Slimy the Worm?'" -gluteous maximus to jagur
XWonka's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3957
johnfoss
2004-01-08 20:48:22 UTC
But there *are* more chrome unicycles. Lots more. Unicycling is
continuing to gain in popularity, and probably about 99% of them are
chrome. Maybe only 95%, but that would probably be the low extreme.

But there are also *more choices* of unicycle, and for the minority of
us who like to own more than one, ride with others, etc., we like to
dress them up. Some people want color, some want their cycles to stand
*Chrome just doesn't show the battle scars as well.*
But if you have *real* battle scars, they'll show up on chrome just
fine. I have some old unis like this. Rusty scratches on a Schwinn frame
show the cycle has been around!

But professional riders on the stage almost always use chrome unicycles,
because they show up nicely, don't look dirty when they are, and can
take a beating.

--
johnfoss - IUF Director

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"I went to the Liberace Museum and the Elvis-A-Rama Museum on the same
day! This is not for everyone."
Darren
2004-01-07 03:55:04 UTC
Paint isn't the way to go...
Powder coating holds up way better.

Coloured unicycles are so sweet.

Check out some at either of these links:

http://community.webshots.com/user/bedford_uni/
http://community.webshots.com/user/uni_pengiun/

Watch for 2 new colours in the next couple days !!
I have a bunch in my shop and they are awesome !!

I sent a MUni to Texas today with a RED Alex rim
and a high gloss Black frame and a frame to Memphis.

Don't be left out, order a coloured frame, hub or rim and feel the
difference !
I have hundreds in stock.

Cheers,
Darren

--
Darren
Darren's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3989
joe
2004-01-08 17:23:54 UTC
*I think shiny chrome unicycles look great once they've got mud all
over them. They show the dirt well.
Black frames look okay, but I always think that black is a really dull
way to make things look cool. It's a bit identikit cool in my opinion,
kind of like being a Goth seems to be at the moment in music.
Joe *
I will have to disagree with you there, Joe!

I have powdercoated my MUni mat black, with yellow flame stickers and
silver brake... I think it looks cool! 'MUni'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/muni_components/MUNI)
It also shows the dirt up well!

I also got my Trials powdercoated green, which also looks cool!
'Trials' (http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/joestrials/my_trials)

The paint has been really good. The trials is starting to get marked,
but less than I thought, considering the amount of abuse it gets! :p

Joe,

--
joe - Using the brake in anger!!

:cool: www.cool.unicyclist.com :cool:
joe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/957
harper
2004-01-07 04:13:53 UTC
It's all about color, baby.

--
harper - Old dog, no tricks

-Greg Harper

B L U E S H I F T

"I hope to be a 90 year old guy who rides his unicycle to the store for
whiskey and condoms." -J.D. Miller

"Old people give me money, because I deliver their paper!" -
James_Potter

"Who needs fancy words and poetic prose to describe a ride when you have
photos?"- JC

AccordNSX
2004-01-07 04:15:02 UTC
Powdercoating is where it's at now. The custom unicycles that I've built
have all been powdercoated, it's a necesity as far as I'm concerned.
This stuff holds up incredibly, and is very aesthetically pleasing.

--
AccordNSX - Adam Coast Choppers

If I had a signature, would you forge it?
AccordNSX's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/541
UNI GUY
2004-01-07 05:28:09 UTC
I totally agree about the powder coating our frames, or getting one
which is powder coated.
But on my way out for my ride yesterday, I dropped my set of keys on my
frame, how I don't know but I did. And I looked down and noticed not a
chip or anything big, but a wee little gouge, or dent, I don't know
what you would call it. I think it was just an odd occasion that this
would have happened, but it did. So I'm wondering just how durable it is
supposed to be. I know stupid question, just something that stuck out
in my mind..
Oh and so you know why I brought this up, I'm a wuss and try my
darndest to keep things ( my unis ) in the best of condition....

I'm ready, make fun of me... ha

--
UNI GUY - UNICYCLING OBSESSED
UNI GUY's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4084
gkmac
2004-01-08 13:24:20 UTC
*weird that uni on the right looks a lot like mine is that a nimbus
XXX frame on it? *
Yes it is, although for some reason they are now called "Nimbus X" i.e.
just one X as opposed to three.

--
gkmac - Shy Nervous Newbie
gkmac's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4577
joemarshall
2004-01-08 16:39:40 UTC
I think shiny chrome unicycles look great once they've got mud all over
them. They show the dirt well.

Black frames look okay, but I always think that black is a really dull
way to make things look cool. It's a bit identikit cool in my opinion,
kind of like being a Goth seems to be at the moment in music.

Joe

--
joemarshall - dumb blonde
chirokid
2004-01-07 06:05:25 UTC
I just like a uni with color better. With that said, all my unicycles
are chrome. :( One day I will get my Muni painted, or powdercoated.

But, I should have custom aluminum uni on a big brown truck. Then all
my uni's will not be chrome. --chirokid--

--
chirokid

..and a butt that smells like chocolate is good? ? ? ? ? :D
"Get some Palmers Cocoa Butter Lotion from Boots. If you put it on in
the evening after a ride, you'll be fine to ride the next day. As an
added bonus it smells of chocolate too." JoeMarshall
chirokid's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4140
muniracer
2004-01-07 22:15:52 UTC
painted unis, especially if its custom (as in one of darrens or self
painted as opposed to a stock painted frame (onza or kh)) add character.
im about to paint my chrome yuni frame for my muni. even though im
using crummy spray paint and it will chip off, it will feel more like
*my* uni because no one else has one just like it.

--
muniracer - Hell On Wheel

The Hell on Wheel Unicycle Gang owns you!!
muniracer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4339
treepotato
2004-01-08 13:03:45 UTC
weird that uni on the right looks a lot like mine is that a nimbus XXX
frame on it?

--
treepotato - No brakes, No limits.........Felix

Some unicycles can give nasty pedal bites.....i still have the scars to
prove it
treepotato's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3942
gkmac
2004-01-07 18:47:19 UTC
*I never have really gone for the chrome look. It just has too much
of a "Hey Look at Me" kind of feel to it. So when I saw that some
Uni's were black I was pretty excited. *
I agree, that's why when I got my first uni (a 'Nimbus X'
(http://tinyurl.com/2aevn), formely known as Nimbus XXX) I paid a lot
more (relatively) just to get one that looked nice.

When I was at juggling club last night, three unis were resting on the
stage, and I couldn't resist taking this picture. The one on the right
is mine, the one in the middle belongs to a fairly good rider who bought
it at a convention, again because it "looked very nice". The blue frame
is his favourite colour.

The one of the left is used by a newbie who was lent it, being
challenged to learn to ride by christmas for a bet (and he succeeded).
It's a basic all-chrome affair, which in my opinion doesn't look as
nice.

But my one on the right also has a black tyre-rim, which for me gives it
the edge in terms of looks.

| Attachment filename: threeunis2.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/183418|

paco
2004-01-07 20:36:26 UTC
Of course, the best look is to get a brushed stainless steel frame. Not
that I'm biased or anything...

--
paco - Proud owner of 2 opposable thumbs

Sounds exactly like an orthodic support for shoes, only different. Would
this be called a butt-thodic support? or glutethodic?
-S_Wallis
paco's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3715
Rayden
2004-01-15 16:25:10 UTC
Post by johnfoss
chrome. Maybe only 95%, but that would probably be the low
extreme.
I wonder if the black torker LX will change that proportion. From
what I have noticed (from going to bike stores in Colorado, Texas,
and
Indiana), there are only three brands that are commonly available in
bike stores in the US: Torker, Savage, and Sun. I think more and
more
beginners will be starting out on a Torker LX in the future.
Everytime
I walk into a bike store, I make a point of asking if they can order
unicycles. If they show me a picture of a Savage, I always try to
persuade them that they should NOT sell that unicycle to a beginner.
Am I being overbearing to do this, or do other people also do
this?
*
I support that. You should give them a reason. "Torker isn't much more
but is an infinately better unicycle."

Personally I like painted. All the cheap unicycles are chrome so I kinda
have that image, at the moment. Of course I know expensive ones do
too...

Chrome has no personality. :)

--
Rayden